Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Manipal to Mumbai...My first visit

I remember an incident of my college days; 1st semester in the college (MIT, Manipal) was over. We were heading back to our home. It was in Jan, 2003. I arrived in Kurla through Konkan railway. The connecting train (Mumbai-Patna super fast) was on next day from Kurla. Therefore, I planned to stay overnight in my aunt's place in west Santa Cruz. I took an auto...


No sooner did the auto join the traffic flow on one of the roads than I realized that I have reached hell. Vehicles honking from all sides, suffocating smoke coming out of exhausts of vehicles, stinging smell emanating from heaps of garbage.


Now this experience was not new to me. But the first five months of life in Manipal made me forget the harsh "reality" of almost all big cities in India.


Manipal is a small "university" town in coastal Karnataka, about 60 kms south of Mangalore. It is situated on rocky hinterland of a village known by the name Madhav Nagar (but everyone calls it Manipal). Beauty of Manipal cannot be described in words.


To feel it one must be there!


The most I can say here is that my first journey from dreamland to reality was nothing less than a revelation!

No comments: